Monday, March 19, 2007

On The Buses

Last Thursday, the 15th March I was assaulted by scum on a bus.

That's got you interested.

A number 6 bus sans chavs

I'll give a quick rundown of the events. I'm leaving work late, so I get the southbound Number 6 route bus from near work to the stop near home. It's something I do at least once a week when not in the car. The bus is not busy, as it's after 7 at night.

Halfway home, two girls and two male youths board the bus. The males are dressed in baseball caps, trackie bottoms, big jackets, dead classy, you know the sort. Male number one pays the driver, whilst the others sit down across the way from me. The girls have balloons, and are a bit noisy, male number two has a bottle of Smirnoff Ice and looks like your average chav scum. Sorry, I know I should be impartial here, but fuck it, they look like the dregs of the Jobcentre.

Male number one wanders up the bus, also with Smirnoff Ice drink visible in his hand. He doesn't sit down. He stands and start singing loudly. They find this amusing somehow.

Well, I'm dead impressed by this and look elsewhere, minding my own business, just hoping that the journey's over quickly.

Male number one shouts to me and asks me why I'm looking so miserable. Usually common sense would tell me to say nowt, but as I'd been waiting 20 minutes for the bleeding bus to turn up in the first place, I was not in the mood.

I ask him to mind his own business, I just wanted to sit here quietly and get home, and if I'm looking miserable it's because I don't want to be bothered by you. This to him is an affront and he calls me a little prick. Now, this riles me, as this dolescum cap wearing chav-twat has the nerve to talk to me like that.

Male number two gets involved then and decides to spit at me.

At this point, stunned, I stand up and have to force myself not to lunge at him. Instead I drop to their base level, swear profusely at the pair of them, forcefully push male number one out of the way (as he was trying to stop me getting past) and rush down to the front of the bus to report this to the driver.

The driver is none too impressed at my telling him that I've been assaulted. "What do you want me to do about it?" he says. Flabbergasted, I say "Right then, if it had been you that had been spat at, you'd be onto the Police a bit sharpish." No answer. So much for these posters on the buses saying that anybody spitting could be traced via DNA. Only if the driver is being spat at. Much more verbal abuse comes from the party of dole monkeys at the other end of the bus, saying that "we never did anything". Yeah, so this spit on my face is my own then is it? I'm appalled at this point. Of course, everybody else on the bus is doing there best not to get involved.

The driver pulls over about four stops later and says "Right, do you want to call the Police then?", indicating that I should get off and go to to a call box. I tell him to forget it. What's the point, the scum would deny it, the driver didn't see anything and nobody on the bus is going to jump to my defence as they just want to get home. 4 against 1.

At this point the girls are getting involved, shouting to me to "get a sense of humour and chill out". "I'd like to chill out love but it's hard when your twat of a boyfriend has just spat at me".

She then says that he was out of order and she's told him so. "That's all well and good love, but it doesn't alter the fact that he assaulted me". Male number two at this point has started taking pictures of me with his chavphone. "What's good is that going to do then?" I ask, and I take my own picture of him, waving my Motorola right in his face.

A scumbag c**t earlier

One of the girls then exclaims "We'll have you for being racist".

All four of them were as white as can be, despite the Elizabeth Duke bling. What really can you say to that?

"Err, how am I being racist love?" I query, laughing in disbelief at this latest example of thickness.

"It's because we're young!" she shouts.

The guy sat near me at the front of the bus minding his own business is visibly sniggering at this.

"Ahh, you mean ageist then. I'm not having a go because you're young, it's because you're wankers."

At this point male number one is doing that puffed up face thing, clearly annoyed as I'm making them look a bit stupid. As if. I can hear him saying "I'm going to kill him".

It's at this point that we're nearly home, so I decide as the journey has been so pleasant, I'd get off a stop early and so, with a departing gesture of a swift raising of the middle finger in the direction of the Mereside scum, I take my leave.

When I reach home a couple of minutes later, it's as much as I can do to stop myself jumping into the car and driving over to their intended destination, which I overheard on the bus to be McDonalds (well, I say overheard - when lout number one loudly slurs his intended destination at the driver, you can't help but notice). What I would have done when I got there Christ knows, but when you're seeing red, all logic goes out of the window. The way I was feeling, I'd still be in the cells now.

I didn't bother reporting this to the police. Foolish maybe, but a) the Police are stretched as it is and b) what's the point in going through the tedious rigmarole of reliving this incident over and over again, even if the cops managed to find the wankers involved? How do you single out a bunch of chavscumbags on a council estate full of chavscumbags? Waste of my time and the Police's time.

After being calmed down by Celia, I did report this to Blackpool Transport, sorry Metro Coastlines (rebrand - you can't polish a turd) as there were a couple of points they needed to sort out, and I felt that it would be useful to report the incident, just in case the arseholes managed to use their one braincell between them and try to report their version of the incident themselves to either the Police or the bus company.

Point number 1. The number 6 bus starts at one rough estate ending at another. There are no CCTV equipped buses used on this route, so the incident that occurred would not have been recorded anywhere, really helping any case I might have wanted to pursue. Why are the CCTV buses not used on this notoriously dodgy route?

Point number 2. The bus driver contravened regulations by letting two people onto the bus with alcohol. These drinks were clearly visible on boarding. So much for zero tolerence towards alcohol on the streets and buses. He was dead helpful when it came to the incident itself, not. The bottom line is he should have refused to let them on.

Metro Coastlines won't do anything of course. The last time I made a complaint to them (this was about verbal abuse I received from one of their drivers) I got a timetable through the post in response. Riiiiight.

So there you go. My tale of woe. Nobody got hurt but this has just been a timely reminder to me that really if you're travelling on Blackpool's public transport system, be prepared for the worst.

What was it Travis Bickle said in "Taxi Driver"? "Some day a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets".

I wish.

No comments: